Gorgeous Beaded Pins for Sweaters and Scarves


While today may be a sultry 86' in Annapolis, the promise of cooler weather is here.  The mornings have recently been lovely - almost cool enough for an extra layer.  Come on, fall!

Cooler weather - sweater and scarf weather - is my favorite!  But, bundling up covers necklaces and makes dangly earrings feel crowded by collars.  Enter the gorgeously beaded kilt pin - festive, playful, and sturdy enough to secure a pashmina or push through a heavy sweater or lapel.  I like the idea of a colorful pin on a poncho, as well, to break up the monotony of the broad fabric.

To make these, I wire-wrapped glass seed beads to curvy kilt pins - in person, the pins resemble a music note.  I added a jump ring dangle to the hinge to create movement and continue the color theme.  These can be made in an infinite variety!







Comments

  1. I love your kilt pins and have wanted to do some myself. Do you make your own pins or did you find a supply source?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa:

    I adore the kilt pins and was trying to get the wire around the pins. I am not as crafty as I thought so could you please give me tips? Do I wrap on a separate piece of wire and transfer over? If wrapping on the pin so you hold the wire and pin with pliers? Did you glue the final product? Do you measure the wire first, place beads on it the wrap it around? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Randy, thank you for your message! How fun that you are trying this project. I will admit that wrapping wire and beads on the outer edge of the curvy pins isn't easy - you have to navigate the sharp end of the pin and the curvy part while wrapping. The goal is to make the wraps neat and uniform between the beads- you can use pliers to help squeeze the wraps together neatly and to tuck the ends of the wire (no glue). I just do one bead at a time because you have to cut the wire off the spool and keeping all the beads on the wire while wrapping sounds like a extra challenge! The first time I did a kilt pin, it was a straight sided 4" pin (found at Joann; there is a post on these, too) - that's an easier place to start than the curved ones. Working with wire requires some patience, so take it one wrap at a time. Good luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment