Recyled/Repurposed: Freshwater Pearls and Glass

On a recent visit home to CA, my sister-in-law, Lauren, handed me a baggie filled with a treasure - a broken necklace made of freshwater pearls and glass chips.  She asked if I would like to make something with it - boy, would I!  Freshwater pearls are one of my favorite things to work with - I love the peaceful shimmer and the quirky shapes and banding, which create random textures in each piece.

The baggie is now about half empty - here is what I came up with so far.

I started with a pendant - wrapping the pearls and glass beads on a 16 gauge silver-plated wire frame with 24 gauge wire.

I then made a bracelet - using the same materials, and creating a "self-clasp" by hooking the end into the spiral.
I finished the set (so far!) with earrings... These are just made with the glass chips and wire, so they will compliment but not exactly match the other pieces.

Thank you, Lauren!

Comments